Saturday 23 February 2019

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

This is a very satisfying murder mystery. It kind of happens in reverse, which you will understand once you read the book. Perhaps because it is translated from the Japanese to English, the language is a bit heavy, and I had to pause between each chapter. The story is about a single mother and her daughter who kill the mother’s ex-husband when he harasses them too much. A neighbour who is interested in the mother helps them to cover up the murder using his mathematical brain to work out all the alternatives precisely. He coaches the mother and daughter as to what they should say when and how they should behave. The twists and turns the story takes took me by surprise. And I hope I don’t give away anything by saying this, but the ending really is heart-rending. True love can make us do some far out things!

The book also gives an idea of life in Tokyo and goes beyond the cliches and stereotypes about Japan. Overall a book I would recommend for those who like murder mysteries.

I was reminded of the Tamil movie Papanasam and the Hindi movie Drishyam while reading the book. 


No comments: