Friday 10 April 2020

9 April 2020

Sometime this week, Facebook threw up a post from the past. It goes something like this, “Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not the end.” This mantra seems very apt right now! (no, not to about half the earth’s people, but definitely to those reading this blog)

I am surprised I haven’t mentioned music so far in these posts. For most of the day, I have something playing from Amazon Music - I move between Pop, Rock, Tamil movie songs, Carnatic music and Dhrupad, depending on my mood. Occasionally I listen to Western Classical when I am trying to educate myself, but quickly return to familiar ground. This week I have stayed on Amazon Music Station - Classic Hits. All old favourites come up and I have been singing along - luckily, my neighbours don’t live too close. The CD player in my music system is not working - so right now my phone doubles up. I also have a radio, but I can’t seem to tune into any station other than Rainbow FM, so I have put that away. Yes, I can use my phone to listen to FM radio, but who needs the chatter of the DJ and inane ads when I have this uninterrupted flow of pure music. 

Yesterday evening I got to see the humungous almost full moon. I had seen the full moon on the 7th, but a bit later in the evening. So it didn’t been as big as it was touted to be. I was luckier yesterday. I turned a corner and there it was, hanging low on the horizon, a bright yellow moon. For a few seconds I forgot to breathe - just like when I read some of Salil Chaturvedi’s poetry. The man on the moon smiled at me and I smiled back at him. I turned another corner and I lost him. Given the age we are in, I quickly messaged friends asking them to go out and enjoy the sight. If I had a decent camera I would have probably spent several more minutes standing out there in the middle of the road trying to get the perfect picture. Thankfully, my phone camera is normal and I could continue. 

What is very impressive about our State is that so far we have had electricity, water and access to the internet. My initial fear was that the pandemic would start wiping out whole populations including the staff who operate all these and then we, the privileged, would have been in a real mess. 

At least so far that hasn’t happened. I would like to propose a vote of thanks to them as well, in addition to all the others who work in essential services. At the best of times, Goa is not the cleanest state in India. However, now, I see the people who collect garbage door to door, out and about, with a mask in their pocket or dangling on one ear. I certainly would like to see this cleanliness drive continue. 

When my nephling first visited me, a few years back, I warned him that I didn’t have wifi at home (corrected since). There was a pause on the phone, before he asked me if I had running water! I do have a well with a pulley outside my kitchen window. I was very tempted, when he came, to make him draw up a couple of pots of water. Then I desisted - Athithi devo Bhava (guest is god) and all that! 

Also he is my elder sister’s son and the apple of her eye. I would have been royally whacked. Never mess with an older sister. It doesn’t matter how old you are.

I continue to be very busy. At the end of the day when I try to remember what I have done, all I have is this blog to show and this really doesn’t take the whole day! Ah well, better than being bored and binge watching some pointless show!

I am trying to migrate this blog to a site called Medium. Some of the current glitches should get sorted then. There will probably be new ones, which I will then learn to deal with. Each time one of you messages me about this blog, I feel very good. So keep doing it :) 

No comments: